Shop Small - JUST FOR ME What I Want for Xmas!!

 As social distancing means that many of us will be doing our christmas shopping online this year, I thought I would blog about gift ideas from Indie shops.


Buy purchasing from small shops and designer makers, you are not only getting original and unique gifts for your family and friends, but are also supporting independent businesses who are going to have a harder time surviving this winter than their chain store/online megacorp counterparts, which in turn helps the local economy, keeps local people employed and so on. You'll be supporting real people who really do appreciate each and every sale; I doubt J**f B*zos does a little happy dance every time an order comes through!


Patterns of India by Christine Chitnis. Buy from an independent bookstore if you can. £19.99 inc postage from Wordery. 


So realistically no-one is going to buy me these, but my dream gift would be a pair of Edinburgh based jewellery maker Grainne Morton's asymmetric but somehow perfectly balanced earrings made from semi-precious stones and vintage glass. Earrings £525.

I have wanted this Fortune Teller Fish needlepoint kit (£70) by The Maker's Marks since the first time I saw it. I can't explain why, something about it is just genius! Simple, clever, witty, it makes me smile every time I see it.


Another item I have lusted over since I first set eyes on it is the Loop Trivet from Studio Arhoj (40 + delivery).


An Ashford folding knitters loom 50cm width £250, with extra reeds in different dpi £26.50 each. I've been itching to get back into weaving, and need the equipment. Please Father Christmas, I promise I've been a very, very good girl this year! (PS the naughty list should just be cancelled for 2020, ok?). (Update: I bought myself one.)


One of my favourite animals is the Scottish Wildcat. Even rarer than Siberian tigers, with approximately only 400 left in the wild, these chunky little Highland grumpsters need all the help they can get. Preservation Charities like Wildcat Haven buy land for the wildcat to roam free, and manage local feral cat populations by TNR to ensure they cannot dilute the wildcat bloodline (the biggest threat to the species). Adopt a wildcat for £25.


Biscuiteers do some of the best biscuits around. I'd like this Lapland Luxe Tin please (£45 + postage)


One of my all time favourite artworks is Akseli Gallen-Kallela's 'Lake Keitele', which took my breath away the first time I saw it. Buy me my own copy from the National Gallery shop (£75 for 700 x 548mm stretched canvas - as close to the size of the original as possible)


No list of mine is complete without something Moomin on it. I've been wanting the 'Bathhouse' with figures since it came out. £24.99 plus postage from The Moomin Shop.


Marimekko is also a great gift choice, try something in their classic Unikko design, for example this Towel £32 and Hand Towel £18 from Nordic Nest.



Nordic Nest also have this adorable Moomin Tree Decoration, £13.


Cut flowers are also great, especially in winter when everything seems so grey and dreary. This bright bouquet from my favourite florist, Stem by Stem, is £29.95 + delivery.


I have been telling the fabulous Zoe from The Cake Junction that I want to order her version of a Geralt of Rivia/Henry Cavill in the bathtub cake since July, but unfortunately my spoilsport friend Alex made me a Bella Cat birthday cake instead ;) .


Or maybe you can just gift me the real Henry Cavill covered in fondant icing, but I think I may have to wrestle Zoe for him!


Talking of unattainable gifts, if someone could persuade The History Channel/Netflix to commission a third series of my favourite handsome-men-in-armour show 'Knightfall' that would be great. Finding out your favourite series is cancelled sucks, and I have so many unanswered questions: Who is Landry's mother? Did Tancrede live? Will Louis make a good king? Why was Landry's name on the scroll? What happened to Talus? Did Berenger ever poop? That last one keeps me up at night...


Failing that, series consultant Dan Jones' book 'The Templars' will scratch my history buff itch. £4.99 World of Books.


I'll need some Teastones Creme Brulee black tea to drink whilst I'm reading, obviously. 50g pouch £5.50.


And a new mug to drink it from. A pair of  these Le Creuset mugs have been on my want list for a while. £15 each from Silver Mushroom.




Comments